Monday, December 23, 2013

TIM - Technology Integration Matrix


The Technology Integration Matrix, or TIM as it is also known, is used to show how teachers can use technology in the classroom to increase learning for their students. There are a total of five characteristics of learning environments, those are: active, constructive, goal directed, authentic, and collaborative. Along with those learning environments are five levels of technology integration in the classroom, those are: entry, adoption, adaption, infusion, and transformation. These together make 25 different combinations of learning environments.

Looking at these different stages, I think the combination of both the characteristics and environments that describes my position as a person interested in technology and educational outcomes would be right in the middle of both outcomes. With the levels of technology integration into the curriculum, I think I fall in the area of adaption which states, “the teacher facilitates students in exploring and independently using technology tools” (Florida, n.d.). While looking at the characteristics of the learning environment, I think constructive describes me best, this states that “students use technology tools to connect new information to their prior knowledge rather than to passively receive information” (Florida, n.d.). The combination of these two sections means that students in the classroom can use different technology tools on their own to aid in learning. As the students begin to learn more about technology and its tools, they can explore the many different ways these tools can be used in building knowledge. A teacher that falls within this particular area of TIM would be able to create a lesson that involves the use of technology tools which will help the students understand a certain concept. The teacher would give the students access to these technology tools to use on their own but would also be there to direct them as needed.

I identify myself with this particular combination of characteristic and environment because it is what I am most comfortable with. I am not the most tech savvy person you’ll meet by any means, but at the same time I know more about technical issues than some people, I would say I fall somewhere in the middle, which is why I chose the middle positions on the matrix. Also, I am an aid in a classroom with younger children, first through third grade students, this is also the grade range I plan to teach, I would not feel comfortable giving these young children too much freedom using technology tools in fear they would get confused. I would feel most comfortable taking small technological steps with them, introducing something simple in the beginning and then introducing more complex tools after a while.


Reference
Florida Center for Instructional Technology. (n.d.). Technology Integration Matrix. Retrieved from: http://fcit.usf.edu/matrix/matrix.php
 

No comments:

Post a Comment